March 10, 2011

The Benefits of Puzzles

My husband and I came home from our trip to Hong Kong with this box of Jigsaw Puzzle as a gift from our friend to our homeschoolers. It was a timely gift because we have been looking for a new puzzle to work on as a family. But the kids couldn't wait! They worked on those 500 pieces day and night by themselves.
Big brother wanted them to put the last piece together but the girl sneaked early morning and finished the picture.

Here they are, happy as clams, working on that tiny table which is one of my office desks where I work on my laptop on my bed before and after sleep.

Our family love working on puzzles. It's not only fun and challenging but it also enhances cognitive, fine-motor, and social skills among children (adult, too). It helps develop hand-eye coordination of young children.
 Puzzles also improve child's problem-solving and reasoning skills. A child learns to see the relationships of isolated pieces to the big picture. I, myself, learn to be more patient working with puzzles. One thing I also like to see my children develop is the habit of finishing a task. I see it in action in their determination to see the complete picture.
2 of our youngest students


We know that not all children have worked on puzzles we share ours to our students in our community learning center. "I can't imagine these poor children not given the opportunity of working on puzzles." A good friend once told me. "They grow missing the prospect of learning how to solve life's problems."

The problems of puzzles are very near the problems of life.  
- Erno Rubik

1 comment:

  1. i love puzzles too! :D will be posting about some recent puzzles that we have been working on soon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very much appreciated. But please know that my young homeschoolers will be reading this also. Thank you.
Looking forward to visit you.