July 13, 2011

Loving Long Life


My parents in-love are nearing 90, and still loving each other each day. The last time I visited them, my mother in-love told me the she's ready to rest in peace. But each time she feels any discomfort, a rush to get a first aid or a trip to the hospital is always the next move. Everyone in the family wants her to live longer, of course, especially her faithful other half who is older than her and is her main caregiver. 

Most people, if not all, want to live long. I do, and that is more for the love of my family and for stewardship of the life that is given to me. But no matter how we hope for a long life, truth prevails, and we are faced with the reality that we are not meant forever in this side of life. Sooner or later, we have to say goodbye to our family and loved-ones. It's not gonna be easy, but there are ways to make it less difficult.

Early in our marriage, my husband and I started traveling overseas as a young family. It was then that we first made our "last will and testament". We had to decide what we want our families to do with our remains and who should take responsibilities of the children if both of us are gone in this world. Hard stuff but it is wise to start thinking about these things while we can. So things like getting getting information on life insurance and funeral insurance are also part of the plan. Just recently, my husband and I had a general medical check up and asked the doctor for the best insurance company in the country. She was kind enough to give us life insurance quote the following week when we went back to get our medical results. Not cheap, but worth paying for!


Watching my parents in-love, I'm reminded of the verse that says:

"Honor your father and your mother, 
so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you."
(Exodus 20:12)

I know that the couple are so honoring to their parents even by the way they tell stories of them. So they are now reaping that reward of that promise.



3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful and wise post. Thank you, my bloggy friend, for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true... we all know that the life we live is not meant to last forever... so we need to be ready and prepared.. though when the time comes, i know we can never be prepared enough...

    what a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents are coming for a visit this week. We are very excited! They are younger than your husbands parents but not in very good health. We are happy they are willing to travel to us.

    My children are having that "Penny Auction" on July 29th. All their friends are invited and we are hoping that God will take our pennies and like the loaves and fishes multiply it to benefit your center.

    We tried to do it for adults but the attitude towards it was not good. I was not pleased at all by this. But, the Bible says "suffer little children and forbid them not to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of heaven."

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very much appreciated. But please know that my young homeschoolers will be reading this also. Thank you.
Looking forward to visit you.