March 22, 2011

J for Jellyfish

 Last month, Mr. M and I were in Hong Kong, and our friends gave us tickets to go to Ocean Park.

One attraction that we really enjoyed was the Spectacular Sea Jelly display.

 We saw big ones....

 ....and small ones.

 They look so graceful.

 Interesting!

 So entertaining.

That's Mr. M's hand trying to catch one!

Some interesting facts about Jellyfish:
  1. Jellyfish in some countries, including Japan, are considered a delicacy.
  2. They don’t have any brain, heart, or bones.
  3. The worlds largest known jellyfish can reach a diameter of 2.5 m / 8ft and its tentacles can grow to be half the length of a football field. 
  4. A species of jellyfish, the Box jellyfish (sea wasp) kills more people than any other marine creature each year.
  5. If you want to know more about Jellyfish, visit the Aquatic Community website. 
This is our entry for:



12 comments:

  1. Great post for the J Day! And I learned somethings about Jelly Fish that I didn't know! Terrific photos! Have a great week!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I appreciated the facts about jellyfish and your photos are jolly good!

    Leslie
    ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jellyfish is popular today! I also posted a photo of jellyfish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I never would have pegged jellyfish as the most popular topic, but your piece is very informative.


    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting J and so pretty too.

    Please come and meet the J's in my Family, hope to see you around, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice selection of jellyfish, and some fascinating facts. I don't think I'd want to swim into an eight foot jelly, however beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing shots! I especially love the third and fourth shots!

    Carletta's Captures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting info and your photos are gorgeous. I don't think I'd want to eat one of those cute creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really interesting about jelly fish. Nice photos you shared. Mine is up - My Water Wed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow never seen so many different kinds of Jelly fish in one place before together even.

    Great post for the letter J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool post. I have two jellyfish experiences. One, stepping on one and hating the beach for years to follow... the other, near Denmark, going to "Hamlet's" castle and finding it surrounded by seas of pink (jellyfish) - kind of cool, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love these shots,
    so cute .
    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very much appreciated. But please know that my young homeschoolers will be reading this also. Thank you.
Looking forward to visit you.