March 15, 2010

Life on a Chess board

It's too hot to play outdoor sports today. I've decided not sending the homeschoolers to swim so husband and I went looking for Chess boards yesterday. We couldn't find the standard one so we bought the Thai chess boards. Thai Chess is slightly different from world Chess but we found a good website that explains the rules of Thai Chess.

We're not Thai but we live in Thailand so my husband and I are keen to learn anything about our host culture, and we want our children to do the same too. So we altogether learned Thai Chess today but then later the children also wanted to learn the standard Chess.


As you see, they're so focus on what they're doing. It turned out to be so much fun that they wanted to play some more. "Shh, that move is a trap." My little girl whispered. She was giggling as she was waiting for her sister. She knew she could win the game in few more moves.

“If a ruler does not understand Chess, how can he rule over a kingdom?”
(King Khusros II)

"Whoa! Why did I do that? That was a wrong move!" I heard this from all four of them. My heart smiled for I know they will learn important life lessons in the game of Chess.


“Life is like a game of Chess, changing with each move”
(Chinese proverb)


Watching my own children play made me think of the yesteryears when I was a little girl watching and learning Chess from my father. My father's only hobby was playing Chess. He's a champion. We had a neighbor-judge who would try almost 10 games in a day but still could never beat my father even just once. My father is not only intelligent, he's also a strategist, a planner and a law-abiding citizen. I have no doubt that the thousands of Chess games he played has helped formed these qualities in him.


 By playing at Chess then, we may learn:
    First: Foresight...    Second: Circumspection...    Third: Caution...
And lastly, we learn by Chess the habit of not being discouraged by
present bad appearances in the state of our affairs, the habit of hoping
 for a favorable chance, and that of persevering in the secrets of resources”
(Benjamin Franklin)
 

1 comment:

  1. Cool, Jacob likes chess but heck I dont know how to play it lol

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very much appreciated. But please know that my young homeschoolers will be reading this also. Thank you.
Looking forward to visit you.