March 29, 2010

We Love Roti, Curry and Nasi Beriani!

One good thing about traveling is the opportunity to enjoy local food.

Our family have lived in 4 different countries and 3 of those have spicy local food. So my children have learned not to be picky with food. They eat whatever is served on the table, although they have their own favorites. One of the family favorite is a curry dish, anything with curry. I always serve roti with chicken curry dip for breakfast.

This picture was taken in our last trip to Penang. Zoe enjoyed her "Roti telur" or roti with egg, dipped in curry sauce.

This one is my favorite, Tandoori Chicken with nan bread and curry sauce. Yum!!!

This one is a sweet treat: "roti tissue". It's a crispy, thin roti topped with condensed milk. Perfect desert after a spicy meal.

This is the latest nasi beriani I made. We fondly call it yellow rice. I bought packets of beriani mix in Malaysia and my homemade nasi beriani tastes authentic! I served it on banana leaves which I got from the banana trees in out yard, topped it with spicy chicken meat floss, and sided it with fresh cucumber and pickled ginger. This dish is best eaten by hand. Yummy!  So even at home it feels like we have traveled again.

Come, let's eat!

Hope you have a bountiful week!



More yellow here!
MellowYellowMondayBadge

7 comments:

  1. oph my gosh, that loooks soooooooooooooooooooooooo good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok lol you know Jacob, he wants to know if you can post a recipe for the Roti with chicken curry dip lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Hope you can check out my very first entry too. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow looks like a fun-filled weekend! and the food, pretty interesting huh :)

    u may view mine here

    ReplyDelete
  5. All new foods to me. They look worth trying though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a BEAUTIFUL table-setting!
    BANANA LEAVES in the yard! WOW!!!!!!!!!
    (Sorry for my ignorance...but are they edible?)

    These dishes look so very delicious!

    I don't even know what half of the ingredients ARE much less am I able to create such a meal!
    Oh how I wish you were next door to teach me Ruth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you are in Penang, break all the rules when it comes to eating!! It's heaven for delicious food!! Whenever I'm in Penang, I tried all those food and there are always new places to eat!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is very much appreciated. But please know that my young homeschoolers will be reading this also. Thank you.
Looking forward to visit you.